Ahh. Saw. EE.
Say it with me.
Ahh. Saw. EE.
Perfect. Now that we can all properly pronounce this delicious berry with origins in South America, it is time that I introduce you to the Açaí Bowl. I first stumbled across a picture of an Açaí Bowl about a year ago when I was killing time looking through Instagram photos. The picture of that beautiful thing stopped me in my tracks. Ever since then, I have been on an unsuccessful hunt for these delicious smoothie-like creations. Finally, I took it upon myself to make it at home.
Here enters my Simple Açaí Bowl.
After searching far and wide, I finally got my hands on the Açaí berry packs in the frozen section of a local health foods grocery store. I had looked at a Kroger first and had no luck in spotting any. Depending on where you live, you might have a greater of variety in your frozen fruit section.
I also wanted to give credit to the blog The Pig and Quill as this is the blog that I looked to for information on making my first bowl.
As you can probably tell from the pictures, an Açaí Bowl is essentially a smoothie made with açaí berries and a variety of toppings. These bowls are growing in popularity, which became evident when there were almost 600,000 hits with a simple Google search. Here are the ingredients and instructions for how I made mine. (I ate this entire bowl, but you could easily share with a friend as I was quite full.)
For the smoothie base:
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup raspberries
- 1/2 banana
- 1 açaí pack
- 2 oz. unsweetened almond milk
- Blend all ingredients together. (I used a Magic Bullet.)
- For a thicker consistency, use less almond milk and all frozen fruit.
- If you prefer thinner amounts, use fresh berries and banana with more almond milk for the desired consistency. (This is a trial and error process!)
For the toppings:
- dark chocolate granola
- other half of the banana
- frozen blueberries
- Simply add as much or as little of your favorite toppings. Here are some other topping ideas:
- chia seeds
- pomegranate seeds
- almond butter
- The best part is making your creation look pretty and fun to eat. Be creative!
After having this smoothie bowl for breakfast this morning, I can certainly understand the hype. I am excited to try out different variations in the future.
Have you ever tried an Açaí Bowl before? What were your favorite toppings?